Friday, May 23, 2008

A new friend?

First of all, I am definately not in Mexico City anymore.

Anyways, Particularly after LA TERM, globalization and me were not good friends. As a matter of fact, I would call it enemies. I hated it.. how it destroyed natural communities and created them all replicas of the US.

But, my heart is in the process of making ammends.

I am staying in a town called Los Idolos, Veracruz... with my brother in law's family! It is beautiful... very tropical. Mangos, frijoles negros, and hammacks are the norm around here. It is hot. humid, hot, and insects are also the norm. Sweat naturally breaks down our backs just sitting inside, or outside a house.

The people have been amazing. They are already making plans for me to never leave... they're trying to marry me so I could stay behind (why do i feel like everybody is on a mission to marry me all of a sudden? lol).

Anyways, it hit me. I got sick. My host mom says she thinks i have a parasyte. Hot weather plus a fever plus diarrhea plus "bichitos" = no good.

But, i am all better. taking it in slowly. And honestly, didnt want to eat posole at 2 in the afternoon in what felt like 110 degree humid weather. seriously.

But today i am all better... im in Xalapa. The city again. Came to do stuff with my internship... there is a huge mall right accross the street from my internship. with AC, and restarants galore. Usually, especially in the past couple weeks, the mall would literally bring me a backache. Today, i felt like it was a space to breathe, and eat me a nice ceasar salad. I am probobly making ammends with globalization... with conditions of course. we'll see.

Dont get me wrong, i like the fact that i am staying where I am... but, a little taste of what is "normal" for me was nice to have on a day like today with my body not in its best aptitude. the weather really wears anyone down... even those who HAVE to work in the fields to eat...

More details on my doings in Veracruz later to come... not too often because the pueblito im in has very very slow internet connection. But when i come to Xalapa, here I could better inform.

For now, all is well... pictures to come later!

Adios amigos,

damaris

5 comments:

Kelly said...

ah im so sorry. I got sick the 3rd day here, with a total body fever, and i thought i was going to die. litterally. but dont worry, youll be ok.

and seriously!!! i sat down at a little cafe and after asking me my name, the waitress asked if I was married. A little shocked, i said no, and the lady next to me said watch out, she has sons!!! This lady didnt even know me and wanted me to marry one of her sons. are you kidding??

I cant say I understand the hot though... at least not yet. its cold, and rainy. ick. but, in june, itll get better I think. Less than a month till my bday!!!! woo hoo!!!!

yes, call me!!! love you mucho!!

Jessica Torres said...

I love you and I'm glad you're doing better...

can't wait to see pics!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my poor baby! Being sick sucks when you're abroad. But I'm glad you're ok now. You look like you're having so much fun otherwise, and I'm so happy for you.
And chica, beware of the beautiful, exotic man beast. I'm sure they are all around you!

NC said...

im glad you're doing fine..
i really miss u! my mom just told me you're comming till the 21fst..
tell me more how's your job and everything!! i luv you very much cousin!!

Kelly said...

i will pray for some of your sun to come my way, because it is cold here!!!

and it is a freakin hour en half metro half tren... and then a 10 min walk. at 2 am.

yea, im moving out in july.

and i cant wait to make some beans sooN! they will be from a can, but i cannot complain because you are not here to make some for me. I think about out apt next year and i get really really excited! dont forget to bring something pretty back for us to hang on the wall.

dont worry, i wont bring a painting of a bull. but seriously, there isnt much else here to choose from. i am going to get ahuge portugues flag though!!!!

loooveee you! get better!! mejores, not mejordes!!!! (apparently my r´s adn d´s sound similar!!!hahahahaha