Friday, May 16, 2008

Que padrisima la ciudad de Mexico, eh?

Saludos!!

i have arrived to Mexico City. It is AMAZING... I've only been here for a couple of days and I'm loving it thus far. I already met with my internship supervisor at a Federal Office Skyrise Building right in the heart of downtown on the 18th floor. Everything has been processed for me to go to Veracruz... about 3 hours from here. I will be working out of their office in Xalapa, Veracruz because they have more ´fieldwork´over there... not a big deal. Because Mexico City has so many sights to see, I will for sure be coming here quite often on some weekends. Working on the homestay situation in Veracruz right now, but not worried. It's all in the process. I would be doing my reserach there too and my supervisors all know that so they're totally willing to help me out :)

So throuhgout the capital you could definatley see remains and influence of the spanish conquest hundreds of years ago... all over the city. From Cathedrals to statues to monuments to the powerful light skin elites. From what I have been able to observe and experience, it seems as though social slass is largely based on dress, amount of pigment on your skin, language, and body type. I feel like I am living straight out of what some sociology books have mentioned.

For a quick example, last night we went to have dinner... and it was 10pm... totally normal around here. We went to have some tacos of course, so i was expecting a little taco truck in the corner or something.

Well, i went with my cousin Azucena to a nice side of town where it was a straight out sit down restaurant with a good 20 minute wait to be seated. Techno music playing, and most of their clients were young proffessionals still in their suits with VALET parking... yup. Valet parking at a taco restaurant. actually, thus far every place uses valet here!! Valet is common... at least with the people ive been with during the past week.bomb tacos of course with 4 different salsas (of course all on my tacos).

Anyways, Azucena and her husband saw a friend of theirs there who was also wearing his suit. Everybody was wearing colard shirts and i felt so outa place considering i was wearing jeans and a tee shirt... c'mon... it was 10;30 pm and we were headed to eat some tacos... cut me some slack.Little Mexico in East LA is its own culture I tell you. Not what im used to at all... and im in the capital of it all. Anyways, thus far friends my cousins have around here are all tall, fairer skin, well groomed, wear name brand clothing, and are working profesionals... and the people working at the restarants we go to tend to have the darker complexion, shorter, and usually tend to be a little bigger. It is so interesting to see who has the power still... it never ends. This sight has been common all week. I went into Azucena's job today and everybody wroking there also tall, fairer skinned and very well groomed (that was obvious because it is a research firm). But this lady walked in who was shorter, had a darker complexion, and was heavier asking me if i wanted a cup of tea or something. Sure enough, she was the one who was cleaning the building.


Anyways, asside from that fact,
last after dinner, at about 11:45pm ish, my cousins decided to go have some coffee at a local coffee shop and walk around. We ended up just strolling around THE Hacienda Hernan Cortez, the Spanish conquistador, first built when he settled in Mexico to please his new mistress, La Malinche. It was beautiful architecture, and had a beautiful garden!! Even though by then it was well after midnight, there were several people walking around having a cup of coffee, oh and yes, a group of bikers were there too, some of which my cousin's husband knew well.... and yes, it felt safe.

I tripped out that just down the street my history book came to life with me drinking a Late with Hernan Cortez' Hacienda! no joke. This part of the town was further away from downtown so it wasn't as busy with cars... but had cobblestone streets and little plazas all around it. My Late coffee was bomb fyi. We returned to Azucena's apartment, which has a beaitufl view of the Mexico World Bank tower, and after hacing a good chat with her aout books and society and the such, I had a good night sleep.

Language
As far as language goes... get this... I feel like a 3rd grader trying to speak spanish... i do have an advantage alright. But the fact that I am a Chicana has never been so in my face before... if not every minute of the day. im telling you, my official language is SPANGLISH. So, i am learning legit Mexican spanish... i kinda get tired honestly... who would have thought?

Unfortunately though I leave Distrito federal (this state) this wednesday. Im excited to see and compare the capital of Veracruz if possible... Azucena says it is also beautiful. A lot smaller, but beautiful none the less. So i get to do turisty things for this week here in this amzing city then will begin my internship soon enough with the Secretery of Social Development in Veracruz. www.sedesol.gob.mx

Thus far I will be most likely visiting el Zocalo this weekend, heading to the Aztec pyramids on Sunday morning, and watching a really legit play called Fierza Bruta where the performances are above the audience on Sunday night - i am really excited about this play. My cousins bought my ticket on ticketmaster already so... im there.

I'll put some pictures up evenrtually...

PS I dont think i have ever had such good salsa in so many consecutive days. And, the fact that i get at least three options with every meal makes my heart almost skip a beat. no, really!

okie dokey.
for now, adios!

4 comments:

MSVisser said...

sounds like a great adventure thus far...thanks for the update!

Jessica Torres said...

Oh, I love you and your blog...keep posting and keep reading mine too!!!

Vincent Cervantes said...

i am wishing i was there with you!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! here are your sociology skills at work! Dang, there is such an advantage to being beautiful, it sucks!