Saturday, June 21, 2008

a double life?

There is a lot to write about. But i have not that much time. And frankly i would rather spend more of my time enjoying it and living it than writing all about it.

But bits and pieces of it i do get to share.

Now, im in mexico city.

The sharp contrast is huge. But this time i prepared myself for it. I have learned to accept the class my family belongs to in the city. Have enjoyed it quite honestly. And although i am really enjoying my time in veracruz, it was nice to have a weekend where I could sleep on cold sheets again, and not have mosquito bites itching my right and left leg every couple of minutes.

i took the metro... in Mexico City... all by myself. and loved it.
ha. no big deal. quite the experience though with the overwhelmingly crowded transit during rush hour... every part of my body was touching somebody else's part of their body... everybody. I was afraid to go into the metro honestly... considering i literally saw people's faces smashed up with their hands up holding themselves on the quick metro sliding door. But after two metros had passed without me getting on, i said... "im going in."

I suddenly found myself pushing and shoving in through people until i was sorroundes by them all... my bag was crisscrossed accross my shoulders, and i was holding on to whateevr i could with one of my hands. The other i was holding on to a bag i had with purhcased CDs and of course, a pair of wooden earrings. :) After a couple stops i was able to find a seat. And from then on, a smooth ride.

This crowdedness was because it was 6pm on a Friday evening. When i took it yesterday at like 10am there were definately no people smashed up againts the doors.

Contrary to popular belief i was not pick pocketed... all safe and sound...and fast. Wow. I went from one side of the city to the other in about 30 minutes... um, mexico city is quite the size... so it was quick. All for $2.50 pesos... about $0.25 USD.

And... It didnt even smell :)

i kind of had a sence of acomplishment everytime i arrived to a destination. maybe u should come here and try it yorself... but with me ;)

With my cousins' guidance as to which route to take, i could go anywhere i feel! Oh, what freedom!

People even asked me for directions walking down the street... and guess what... i was able to guide them in the right direction... some ladies from Colombia and Chile who were adorable went along the ride with me towards my metro stop... didnt stop asking me questions about the city, its history, me, and how i learned spanish so well living in the states... um, this is a good sign my friends.

in brief:

*Visited the anthropology museum... amazingly huge! i think i literally had a joygasm with every major exposition.

::NOTE - i saw THE Aztec calendar. 'nough said::

*Went to a Mexico Diablos baseball game with my cousins... the best bad mouthing to players i have heard in the spanish language thus far. and oh, the viraety of food sold at the stands... from peanuts to tacos to pizzas to iced coffee to mexican treats, potato chips, and of course... beer, and mixed drinks... at very low prices... yea, about that...

Afterwards,
*Went out to a bar lounge with my cousins and her friends to celebrate my cousins birthday.
*Then went out to have dinner (mind you this is at about 1:45 am)
*Went to Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera's house (the next day)
*Had lunch at a really good Oaxacan restaurant
*hung out with my cousins in their European-Style apartment
*Will be attending my cousins graduation ceremony at the Palacio de Bella Artes tomorrow.

Obviously a SHARP contrast to my life in Veracruz!!! Am i living a double life?!

I feel like i am cheating on my own life right now... a weird anology. Will explain later.

Pictures will arrive eventually. For now, leave it all up to your imagination.

Saludos y abrazos
:) !!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love your post!!! there is an anthropology museum here too, but i havent visited it yet, but i will! and thats soooo funny about the metro!!! ours def stink, but i think i have gotten used to it. But yea, i havent gotten pick pocketed either, but def have had the wodnerful experience of people smashed up against me. hot cultures are great, huh?!

thats TIGHT that you saw frida Kahlos´house... im a bit jealous.

and dont worry, i feel the same way. I work with all of these homeless people who sit in the shadows of the grandiose buildings, and then i go home, go out on the weekends, and have the time of my life. Its an interesting paradox.

I loooovvvveee you! i think about you constantly and cant wait to talk again!

Jessica Torres said...

I wish I was there with you!