Tuesday, June 3, 2008

so... what am i doing?

Do ya'll even know what I am doing down here?

First of all, let me state that Veracruz is a beautiful state... green vegetatoin everywhere and the weather is not so hot anymore... still humid, but now it is slowly becoming into a tropical haven... asside from the mosquitos, frogs, iguanas, and snakes... its all good on this side of town... :)

I am living with a host family in a rural town near the capital of veracruz... where i have internet access. Check this out though... i am staying with my brother-in-law's family here!! Honestly, their hospitality has been amazing... I will be doing a "Family Organization" project which will simply evaluate family norms in this setting, as well as an independant research project on migration away from Los Idolos, Veracruz to study how migration has affected the population in Lod Idolos both economically and sociologically... i.e. work and income, consumtion habits, family relationships, and overall quality of life. Asside from all this, I am interning at SEDESOL which is the Secretry of Social Development, part of the federal government. I am interning with them two to three times per week, one day assisting in the federal office building with paperwork and files needing funding for projects to better the communities in Veracruz, and the other two days i am "on the field" visiting different projects that have begun from SEDESOL to see their importance, quality, effectiveness, etc... I havent done field work yet, that is starting manana!

I am really excited for my research project... and asside from hanging out around the pubelo meeting and simply hearing people's stories, jokes, and them feeding me (they all are on a NO CARBS LEFT BEHIND mission on me it seems)... i have, im not kidding, 15 books i brought with me. Some for pleasure, and some that i have to use for my papers.

Asside from the constant scratching due to the beautiful mosquitos qho had a feast with my body, and walking along the sunsets of the green banana leaf and mago trees all around, i am learning new ways to be still, and to try and jump, at least for a sec, in the life and mindset of a human being who lives and breathes a completely distinct world than the one i do.

i dont know when i will have the opportunity to do this again for this amount of time while on my own... although i miss some people at times (um, yes)... i remember why i am doing this and strength somehow rejuvinates me... i know some of u have been praying for me... and let me tell you...

prayer works.

Saludos amigos... and I will try to update u again with some videos hopefully by next week.

Desos!

2 comments:

Jessica Torres said...

You are incredible!

Let us know how your fieldwork goes!

Love you!

Kelly said...

I was actually going to email you and ask you what they heck you were doing, so thanks for that! You are definitely in a place where you will grow a lot, and dont you worry, I will do enough dancing to mana and reggaton for the both of us! hehe! im really sorry about that though, and I honesly pray that you find other fulfilling ways of enjoying yourself. Maybe you can get away for a weekend next month or something...who knows.

As for me, I relate to the quiteness, but in a very different way! Madrid is a loud bustling city, and i have a hard time finding a cafe where I can just sit and read! But since there is a bit of a language barrier, I have become really quiet, and just dont have as many things to say. Its been hard cause you know how much I love to be funny! but its good, ive been very introspective, which is good for the soul i think.

you having a carb diet? i cant tell you how much bread I eat here. Its ridiculous.

Tonight I went to a mexican bar!!! and they were all eating potato chips with red spicy liquid and powder on it. I honestly wanted to somehow transport you here!!!!and everyone looks at me funny when i say manejar, but I say it for you anyways. :)

love you mucho! and if you update this again without sending me your number i will be very sad!!!!

besos!